Thursday, March 15, 2007

Mini-review: Wonder Woman #5 (no spoilers)

This one will be brief - this should have been Wonder Woman #1, or maybe even #0. I'm not ashamed to say my eyes teared up a bit near the end. A great story, done in one, and makes you believe in Wonder Woman again.

This is what Wonder Woman is about. This is who Wonder Woman is. (See my last post on character to see why that's a controversial statement.) Will Pfeifer set the bar pretty high for his successor, Jodi Picoult - let's hope she can meet the challenge.

Of course, this does raise a philosophical issue - how to balance all the good Wonder Woman has done with her murder of Max Lord? Of course, if you feel Lord's death was justified, there's no issue - next comic, please! But if you have a problem with Wonder Woman's actions, that's a true dilemma, considering all the good she's done, and will presumably continue to do.

One more thing - Heinberg who? Frankly, I don't care if his "Who Is Wonder Woman?" story never gets resolved. I think this issue settled the question once and for all.

4 comments:

Aeon Skoble said...

Congrats on the new blog. Looking forward to it. I'm a friend of a friend, a philosophy prof, and a comics fan.

David M. Hart said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
David M. Hart said...

Saw one of your posts on Newsarama and wandered over... I'm a grad student in philosophy at DePaul, and also a huge DC fan. It's starting to sound like we comics and philosophy people should start a conference.

Best,
David Hart

comicsprof said...

David and Aeon,

Good to hear from you both - in case you're interested, I'm co-editing a book on Batman and philosophy for Blackwell's Philosophy and Pop Culture series - email me (check my profile) if you're interested...

Mark